Monday, March 05, 2007

Strategies for the Writing Process

Learning logs was presented by Gerri. She presented many ways this can be done. I like the part she suggested using a daily theme. I tried using a literature log in my class which I did not think was very successful. One of the faculty who teaches in my department uses a quote a day. She uses the quote as a theme for the day.

Mary's presentation gave us strategies on pre-writing which I thought was good and something that I'd like to try. She puts the writing process in an organized fashion that makes sense. I am impressed that her students, at 1st grade, did pretty well in webbing.

Lalaine's presentation had very stylistic illustrations. She used a butterfly theme throughout the different slides. I like that she brought student samples to show the class.

Charlene mentioned that she provided food at her sharing. I find that works really well even in my department. She brought colorful samples that she posted on the wall. Like Mary, she stressed on the pre-writing. She told us about her use of graffiti board in reflecting about the book, Faithful Elephants. She modified the circle writing strategy by introducing editing.

This sharing process is very helpful in generating ideas for my program.

Thanks -- Barbara

1 comment:

Ferris said...

Hi Barbara
Your DVD presentation was so different from anyone I have seen. There so many different ways of presentaton, and yours was another level beyond. Hope to view the rest of it or even hear about how your students went about putting it together. See you on Saturday.
Mary